Treatments for MS
The management or treatment of MS can broken up into 6 interrelated categories:
These categories or steps are not meant to be achieved sequentially although certain steps will come before others. Instead, they are meant to work together to help you achieve the best outcomes possible. They will also change over time so be prepared to continue learning.
Important Treatment Topics
(click on the icons below for more resources on MS treatment)
PLEASE NOTE: For the therapies below, we recommend that you search the web for the "package insert" for each of the drugs. The package insert will go over the indications and the Phase III clinical trial findings, as well as side effects. Here is an example of a package insert: this one is for Gilenya http://www.pharma.us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/gilenya.pdf
Disease Modifying | Oral
Disease Modifying | Infusion
- Aubagio is a once-daily oral prescription medicine used to treat relapsing forms of MS.
- Gilenya is a prescription medicine for the treatment of patients with relapsing forms of MS to reduce the frequency of clinical exacerbations and to delay the accumulation of physical disability.
- Tecfidera is a prescription medicine used to treat people with relapsing forms of MS.
Disease Modifying | Infusion
- Avonex is approved by FDA to treat relapsing forms of MS to decrease the number of flare-ups and slow the occurrence of some of the physical disability that is common in people with MS. Avonex is approved for use in people who have experienced a first attack and have lesions consistent with MS on their MRI.
- Betaseron is a prescription medicine used to reduce the number of relapses in people with relapsing forms of MS. This includes people who have had their first symptoms of MS and have an MRI consistent with MS. Betaseron will not cure MS but may decrease the number of flare-ups of the disease.
- Copaxone is indicated for reduction of the frequency of relapses in patients with Relapsing Remitting MS (RRMS), including patients who have experienced a first clinical episode and have MRI features consistent with MS.
- Plegridy (peginterferon beta-1a) is a subcutaneous injectable therapy for relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (RMS)
- Rebif is used to treat relapsing forms of MS to decrease the frequency of relapses and delay the occurrence of some of the physical disability that is common in people with MS. Rebif is not approved for treatment of chronic progressive MS. Click on the logo below to learn more about Rebif and MS LifeLines which is a facebook page sponsored by EMD Serono.
- Tysabri is for adults with relapsing forms of MS to slow worsening disability and reduce number of flare-ups. Since Tysabri increases the risk of PML, a rare brain infection that usually causes death or severe disability, it is generally recommended for patients unable to tolerate or respond well to another therapy.
Balance/Coordination & Walking Problems
- Ampyra is indicated as a treatment to improve walking in patients with MS. This was demonstrated by an increase in walking speed.
- Ditropan is a prescription medicine used to treat overactive bladder, such as incontinence or a frequent need to urinate by helping a person have more control over the need to urinate.
- Toviaz treats symptoms of an overactive bladder such as incontinence (loss of bladder control) or a frequent need to urinate.
- Aricept is a prescription medicine that is used to treat memory loss and mental changes most commonly associated with Alzheimer’s disease
- Celexa is a prescription medicine that is used to treat depression. This medicine is an antidepressant called selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).
- Effexor is a prescription antidepressant that is FDA approved to treat depression. It is also approved to treat three anxiety disorders in adults: generalized anxiety disorder (GAD), panic disorder (PD), and social anxiety disorder (SAD).
- Lexapro is a prescription medicine used to treat severe depression and generalized anxiety disorder (GAD). This medicine is a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI).
- Prozac is a prescription medicine used to treat a variety of depressive disorders.WellbutrinWellbutrin is a prescription medicine used to treat depression.
- Zoloft is a prescription medicine that is used to treat variations of depression in adults.
Dizziness & Vertigo
- Antivert is a prescription medicine is used to treat motion sickness and dizziness.
- Nuedexta is used to treat sudden bursts of crying or laughing for no apparent reason. This is a common symptom of MS.
- Acthar is indicated for the treatment of acute exacerbations of MS in adults. Controlled clinical trials have shown Acthar to be effective in speeding the resolution of acute relapses of MS.
- Concerta is a prescription product approved for the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Nuvigil is a prescription medicine used to improve wakefulness in adults who experience excessive sleepiness.
- Provigil is a prescription medicine used to improve wakefulness in adults who experience excessive sleepiness.
- Lyrica is indicated to treat fibromyalgia, diabetic nerve pain, spinal cord injury nerve pain, and pain after shingles. Lyrica is also indicated to treat partial onset seizures in adults with epilepsy who take 1 or more drugs for seizures.
- Depakote is used to treat acute manic episodes of bipolar disorder as well as complex partial seizures in adults or simple and complex absence seizures.
- Dilantin is indicated for the control of tonic-clonic (grand mal) and psychomotor (temporal lobe) seizures.
- Neurontin is a prescription medicine used to treat certain types of seizures.
- Cialis is indicated for the treatment of men with erectile dysfunction (ED), men with the signs and symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), and men with both ED and the signs and symptoms of BPH. Cialis is not indicated for women or children.
- Viagra is a prescription medicine used to treat erectile dysfunction (ED) which can occur as a result of MS.
- Botox is a muscle-relaxing medication used to decrease spasticity related to MS and other neurological conditions.