Here is My Question:
I recently asked the question about whether or not to delay my Ocrevus due to the coronavirus. I am in Louisiana and there is currently a case here now. I was considering getting an MRI to make sure I don’t have new or active lesions and possibly checking my B cell count. My questions are:
1. If my B cell count is around zero, how long would I expect it to take for them to be high enough to make me no longer immunocompromised?
2. If it will be low for a long time, would it even matter if i had the infusion now?
3. Is it worth checking the B cell count or do you feel that it is not useful and that we should just assume we are immunocompromised on Ocrevus regardless of the number?
4. At this point with the COVID19 spread, if I and MRI showed new or active lesions, would it still be more of a risk to get the infusion versus waiting a few months?
Thank you for your help. I have a terribly hard time getting through to my MS specialist and her office is not responsive to my questions.
B cell Depleting therapies and the COVID 19 Pandemic
These are really good questions. All of them have been asked in one form or another lately by our MS patients receiving treatment with monoclonal antibodies that deplete CD20 expressing lymphocytes (predominantly B cells). Let's begin with what we currently know about these therapies;
Revere (Rip) Kinkel MD
Professor of Clinical Neurosciences
Director of the Multiple Sclerosis Program
Clinical Neurosciences Director
University of California San Diego
PLEASE NOTE: This information/opinions on this site should be used as an information source only. This information does not create any patient-HCP relationship, and should not be used as a substitute for professional diagnosis and treatment. Please consult your health care provider before making any healthcare decisions or for guidance about a specific medical condition.